Delicious, buttery, low carb and high protein cookie! It’s also low carb (keto friendly!), high in protein and can be made vegan if you please.
Recipe from Nourish in 5 by Amy Lee @nourishin5.
PREP TIME - COOK TIME 20-25 minutesSERVES 8DIFFICULTY Easy
- 1/2 cup (115g) butter or vegan butter
- 1 large egg or flax egg* (*Combine 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 2½ tablespoons water; use as an egg substitute.)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp brown sugar sweetener or coconut sugar (if not strict KETO)
- 1/4 cup sweetener (I use Natvia, or you can use more coconut sugar)**
- 2 cups almond flour (200g) (You can substitute 1/2 cup of almond flour for 1/2 cup protein powder to boost the protein)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 175°C/350°F. Heat the butter in a 9-inch non-stick skillet over high heat until bubbling. Reduce heat and cover pan (optional; prevents butter spitting), and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the butter starts to brown. Once browned, remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- While butter is cooling, whisk together the egg, vanilla and sweeteners. Mix in the butter once it has cooled.
- Sift in the almond flour to remove lumps and add the salt and half the chocolate chips; mix through gently until the batter is well combined and creamy. It will be a little thicker than cookie dough. Smooth batter into skillet; top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and firm on the top when pressed lightly and a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cookie comes out clean.
- Serve with sugar-free ice cream or frozen yogurt and enjoy!