These spelt flour hot cross buns are a perfect vegan and refined-sugar free Easter treat, simply delicious!
PREP TIME 1½ hours COOK TIME 20 -25mins SERVES 8DIFFICULTY Medium
- 2 cups Organic Road Wholemeal Spelt Flour
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 chia egg (1 Tbsp chia seeds + 2½ Tbsp water = a chia egg)
- ¼ cup Organic Road coconut oil
- ¼ cup Organic Road coconut sugar
- 1 tsp instant dried yeast
- 2 tsp Organic Road Cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp Natural Road Himalayan salt
- 2 tsp orange zest
- ¼ cup sultanas
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Mix together flour, yeast, sugar, salt and spices in a large bowl. Make well in centre.
- Add milk, coconut oil and orange zest to small pan, heat for a few minutes till mixture is warm.
- Add wet ingredients and chia egg to well in dry ingredients. Mix until a dough is formed.
- Knead dough on floured service for 5 minutes. Then return to bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for around 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 8 equal sized pieces. Shape into a smooth ball then arrange them on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Brush with warmed maple syrup for a lovely shine and use melted chocolate to make crosses.